Friday, December 19, 2008

And Pierce the Clouds and Bring us Light



Friends,

It has been a little while and I pray all of you are experiencing the blessings of Christ come right now. The last few weeks have certainly been busy with finals and what not but we've also been able to do some good celebrating here on Beekman! It has been such a blessing for me this Christmas season to truly see Christ in the holiday, I've come to understand the longing that is present in so many of our Christmas songs and the joy that we have in knowing He has come and is coming again! I'm so excited, not for the presents and food but to deepen relationships with loved ones and for the kingdom of God to come here on earth. (It's going to happen and be so so wonderful!)

I've been able to spend some good time with the folks in the 'hood especially the kids and to celebrate and share about Christmas with them. Last weekend a few friends came over to keep me company (I've been in the house by myself for a few weeks and if you know me you'll know that I am going crazy!) We made lots of cookies, like three different kinds and the kids helped us eat all of them. We also opened up some of the games and negotiated cheating accusations but in the end it all turned out alright and we had some good times with candyland and puzzles. I also got to give the kids activity books to keep them all busy. We've been reading a whole lot of stories, mostly about Christmas and one of the girls even took home a children's Bible the other day so she could read more at home.

A few weeks ago we watched a movie about the nativity that was told through the eyes of a donkey and since the kids didn't know the Christmas story they were amazed/confused. Now whenever we read or hear about anything to do with the nativity they ask if this is about the movie and also where the donkey is. I always have to remind them that we talked about how the movie is actually true and that it is actually why we celebrate Christmas. Last weekend while making cookies I had on some music and Sufjan's version of Come Thou Font came on, one of the girls asked me if this was the song we had sung on the roof (over 2 months ago) and I said that it sure was. She asked if the guy who sang (our friend Denny) was coming and if he was famous. I got to tell her that yes he was coming and no he wasn't famous. She asked if the songs were about him and I got to tell her that no they were about Jesus. So later that night after little M had fallen asleep in my lap (so cute!) we sang some Christmas songs. I honestly can't think of any better way for the kingdom to come to Beekman than through singing with friends and eating cookies and reading stories. I hope you all have equally astounding stories of God's provision this season and I look forward to hearing some.

I've got some more updates about our plans for the new year but I'll write those after I go home to PA tomorrow and have lots of time on my hands! I wish such joy for all of you as always!

No comments: